Thursday, May 20, 2010

My FUD continues regarding Sun, Java and Glassfish

The acquisition of Sun is old news, but I continue to read about it in the hope of finding some information that will foretell the fortunes of many of the technologies I use on a daily basis.  While its clear that Java has a future (Oracle uses it heavily in many of its products), the Glassfish server and ancillary things like JRuby are more in doubt.  Support for Glassfish has been pledged, but in a more minor role (no longer an Enterprise server - Oracle has other servers for that).  I rely on the clustering capability of Glassfish 2.1 (waiting for them to appear in a complete and stable manner in Glassfish 3) and wonder if they are in danger of being deprecated in the future.


Anyway, this article reminds me of my own experience being acquired by a company whose culture was alien to that which I was used to.  This was long ago when CA acquired Nantucket Corp. (anyone remember Clipper?), and I can truly sympathize with the Sun engineers who saw the writing on the wall and left.  I just hope Oracle's plans for Java are more constructive.

No comments:

Post a Comment